Saturday, February 2, 2013

Words and No Pictures

Blogging can be a lot of fun. It can also be hella stressful too. I really struggle with feeling stupid, typing out words into the void. I struggle with originality, knowing that my ideas and inspirations are often sourced from things that I've seen elsewhere. I convince myself that what's been done already is probably better than anything I could do, and scurry away from the computer without even trying. But I'm attempting to change that, to grit my teeth and put something together. Perhaps to plan a little more, commit to this.  

I read somewhere that you shouldn't blog to become famous, but to share what you love with like-minded people. Even when I stopped blogging myself, I never quite disconnected from the blogs that I love. Now that I'm getting all introspecty I know it's because I enjoy being part of something (even if just as a silent stalker-like witness) that I love - fashion, photography, motherhood, community - snippets from real life and real conversations. Yet a big part of me hesitates to build my own blog, to share back what I love, out of a fear of being trite and boring and smarmy and lame. I'm not a journalist. I'm not a fashionista. I'm not a writer. Yet I can't kill this damn blog, so I'll build it instead. And try not be afraid. And that means stop comparing my font type to other blogs, for a start. Small steps.

Already I can feel my mind thinking in hyperlinks again. I like it.

A big reason I stopped blogging is because my camera and laptop were stolen when I was in Italy. I'm still not over it. I look at people's photos and physically ache to have my camera back again. I ache to have my folders of photos back. I think that people want pictures of shiny things, pretty things, that I can mould my words around them. Now I just have words.

No comments:

Post a Comment